As templates can often be fairly complex and depend on various external factors, this page outlines some guidelines for inclusion on Wikia Templates.
- Templates should be self contained, and avoid calling other templates (unless absolutely necessary).
- Templates which include CSS calls in their design should mention so. Generally it's best avoided, unless the CSS classes exist as standard.
- Use images sparingly.
- Templates should have usage and modification instructions. If they require other templates, this fact should be clearly documented, with links to the required templates.
- Templates should aim to be easy to read and understand even without usage instructions.
- Don't try and make the most extensible template ever - don't make everything a variable for the user to provide. For example, alignment of boxes: just pick an alignment and hard-code it, or make it the default choice.
For details about how template pages should be structured, see Template layout.